What is "healthy eating?" In two words: VARIETY and MODERATION.
- choose from many different kinds of foods such as vegetables, fruits, grains, beans, lean meat & poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts and healthy oils.
- select foods low in saturated fats and without trans fats.
- eat five servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
- eat what you need, but not in excess of the energy you spend: it's a balancing act.
- limit sugar and avoid sugary drinks.
- eat as little salt and sodium as possible.
- avoid high-fat, high-sugar foods such as cake, cookies, ice cream, chips and other highly processed foods.
Other healthy eating tips include:
- shopping smart: read food labels. Learn the meaning of carbohydrates, protein & fat and how they can meet your needs.
- shopping fresh: select foods as little processed as possible, with few additives.
And, take the time to sit down and enjoy your meals, with friends and family. A twenty-minute meal eaten in a quiet atmosphere is part of healthy eating habits.
ALCOHOL WARNING: If you drink alcohol, drink in moderation.
For more information on Healthy Eating, check the following: mypyramid.gov
It's a healthy thing!